Monday, January 23, 2006

I Could Be Wrong, But Is This Theft?


(Hat Tip: Jim)

Wayne Hulbert from Canada has posted a great article over at the Blog Business World. A reader pointed out that his content was posted (in full) over at the Lewiston Web Consulting site, word-for-word, including the technorati links.

A domain search reveals that [Editor's note: Name removed. See second update for details.] is the owner of the site (or at least has registered it via Go Daddy) and doesn't even credit Hulbert for the post.

Unless Hublert is working for Lewiston Web Consulting, this is nothing more than copyright theft. Blog theft seems to be happening more frequently, as The Blog Herald reported template theft earlier on their site.

Although content theft is probably expected in the blogosphere, it is surprising how brazen some people posting items that are not their own.

Update: Here is an image of the post, just in case it disappears over night.



Update 2: (Feb. 2) The Blog Herald picked up on the story (after I emailed him on the day I discovered this was happening to Wayne).

The author of the site IS NOT A splogger, (something I originally assumed) and I have removed his name from the post since he graciously shut down the site and apologized to Wayne Hulbert via email.

I am leaving up the other links as a mini memorial to what has happened here although this incident has given me an idea on how to combat blog theft in the future. (I'll have to work this out legally, but I'll post later about this if it goes through) Stay tuned for details.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:08 PM

    (reposted by Darnell--after going through several "coding hoops," I think I have finally resolved the cookie comment issue causing the mysterious "goobly gunk." This would be the third attempt I think.)

    Originally posted at 2:09 PM

    The intriguing thing about the "borrowing" blog is it has no contact information that I can find either. They do make it difficult to remove the post. They claim to be a web consulting firm, but they certainly are not concerned with proper linking or copywrite blogging procedure. I hope they don't advise their clients to use their unethical techniques. For the record, I have no affiliation with their firm, blog, or websites in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:47 PM

    I hope something can be done about this. Thieves were never held with high regard to me. Hopefully a lawyer can teach these "you know what's" to honor true talent by giving credit below.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:53 PM

    (Ghetto! My own comment didn't even show up! Sad...

    Well, I guess that means more work for me!)


    I hope something can be done about this. Thieves were never held with high regard to me. Hopefully a lawyer can teach these "you know what's" to honor true talent by giving credit below.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:38 PM

    There is a link at the bottom of the Lewiston Web Consulting site that says "Full Article" and when you click on it it takes you to Blog Business World. Not sure if this is a new addition or anything. Article is still there, but at least he/she/they seem to be giving a very small credit linkage at the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:35 PM

    I thought it was too, but upon clicking on the link it lead to a different article.

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved | Blogger Template by Bloganol and Smart Blogging Tips